Prepare Your Family for Back-to-School Season
Preparing your family for back-to-school season does not have to be a stressful experience. Broken down into sensible categories, this list and free printable can help your family get on track toward experiencing a successful school year.
- Take what you learned from last year, feedback you’ve gathered from other families, and what you know about your students, and work together to form a plan and set goals.
- Don’t forget to schedule required physicals and retrieve necessary medical forms.
- Compile a list of questions to ask your students’ teachers such as how student progress is measured. Doing so reminds parents to speak with their children about their school and education as well as improves parent-to-school communication.
- Compile some new lunch ideas, quick dinner recipes, and healthy snack ideas to make sure everyone gets a healthy start to the year.
- Start adjusting bedtime routines and sleep schedules well in advance of the first day of school.
- Obtain school calendars, contacts, and other key information via your child’s school website.
- Update helpful technology and tools for you and your student, from apps to online calendars, that will make the school year easier.
- Clean or set up a new home learning space.
- Go through old supplies and clothes so that you’re not buying duplicates and determine what new school supplies you need for the coming year.
- School clothes or uniforms, keeping in mind sales tax holidays.
- New school supplies appropriate for your student’s grade level.
Print out your own back-to-school checklist HERE
For a complete guide for making back-to-school simple, check out our other tips, tricks, and how-tos and start preparing for a successful school year!
Featured Image © K12 Inc.
Sarah Mills is a contributing writer for Learning Liftoff. She mentored and instructed kindergarten through high school-aged students throughout her college years and eventually went on to live and work in Yosemite National Park for a stint. Reading, writing, adventuring, and anything Harry Potter are some of Sarah’s favorite go-to activities.