Combine LEGO with STEM for a Chance to Win $1,000
Update: This contest has ended and the winners can be viewed here. Thank you to all who entered!
Giving students a fun way to explore STEM education and an opportunity to be recognized for their talents is the goal of online curriculum provider K12‘s annual STEM Contest. This year’s contest offers your uniquely brilliant students the chance to win a $1,000 grand prize when they create a STEM-inspired LEGO creation!
Read the important details about this year’s contest below and, when your student is ready to enter, simply complete the form on this page and upload a video and/or photo of his or her LEGO creation.
K12’s 2016 STEM Contest Details:
- The theme for the 2016 K12 STEM Contest is LEGO. With one or more LEGO bricks—and unique crazy brilliance—build something that could change the world, solve a problem, or would be crazy fun. Submissions must be related to:
- Energy and the environment
- Health and nutrition
- Aerospace and aviation
- Cybersecurity and technology
- Submissions MUST contain one or more LEGO bricks.
- Submissions MUST contain a video or a photo (videos are strongly encouraged).
- The contest is open to all students from kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Three finalists will be chosen from four grade groups (K–2, 3–5, 6–8, and 9–12), and will receive:
- First Place: a trophy and a $100 LEGO gift card
- Second place: a trophy
- Third Place: a trophy
- An Overall Winner will be chosen, in addition to the grade group winners, and will receive a trophy and a $1,000 grand prize, which includes the choice of a LEGO gift card, STEM class/workshop/subscription, or a combination of the two.
- Each and every student who submits their creative expression of STEM-related innovation will receive a certificate of participation.
- All finalists’ creations will be featured in an online gallery.
- All submissions must be received here by 5 PM (ET) Wednesday, March 30.
- Complete details and contest rules can be found here.
Need some inspiration?
- K12’s STEM Education Pinterest Board
- STEM Inspiration Pinterest Board
- Inspire STEM Education
- The 2015 STEM Contest Winners
- 10 Fun LEGO Science Activities
- A Look at the Amazing LEGO Architecture of Adam Reed Tucker
- What Does STEM Education Look Like?
- Why STEM Education Is Important
- 9 Resources to Help Boost Your Kids’ STEM Skills
- Learning STEM: 5 Fun Indoor Science Experiments for Kids
- Literary Characters Come to Life Using STEM
- STEM Education and Science of Baseball Unite for K12 Teachers on Arizona Diamonds
- STEM Apps Designed by Students
- Students Need STEM Education for the Modern Job Market
- Closing the Minority Gap in STEM Education
- Why the Maker Movement and STEM Matter
- Education.com: Getting Kids Excited about STEM
- Edutopia: Infographic: The Value of a STEM Education
Brittany Marklin is a contributing writer for Learning Liftoff and a community manager for K12. She coordinates all K12 student contests and connects with families who pursue online education. She attended George Mason University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in marketing, with a minor in tourism and events management. Brittany spent her first five years at K12 on the social media team where she aided with content and strategy for multiple channels, and helped construct K12’s user-generated content site, “What’s Your Story?” When she’s not working, Brittany loves spending time with her husband and daughter in North Carolina.