6th-8th Grade Science Learning Activity: Coal Formation
Coal is an organic sedimentary rock, that is usually formed from plant debris in a swamp environment. To learn more about Coal Formation use the interactive activity below.
This interactive activity is embedded in our Science course.
The Earth Science curriculum builds on the natural curiosity of students. By connecting them to the beauty of geological history, the amazing landforms around the globe, the nature of the sea and air, and the newest discoveries about our universe, it gives students an opportunity to relate to their everyday world. Students will explore topics such as:
- Fundamentals of geology, oceanography, meteorology, and astronomy
- Earth’s minerals and rocks
- Earth’s interior
- Plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes, and the movements of continents
- Geology and the fossil record
- Oceans and the atmosphere
- The solar system and the universe