6th-8th Grade History Activity: Italian Renaissance Artists
Explore six famous works of art that were created during the Italian Renaissance. These works were all created by Italian artists between the 14th and 18th centuries. Explore each image by scrolling your mouse, and read the back story for each piece. See if you can answer the questions included along with each piece, and then click the ‘Answer’ button to learn more.
Artists included are: Donatello, Masaccio, Botticelli, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael. Yes, the four Italian Renaissance artists who the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are named for are all included.
This activity can be found in the K12 Intermediate World History B course.
The entire course covers continuing a survey of World History from prehistoric to modern times, K12 online lessons and assessments complement the second volume of The Human Odyssey, a textbook series developed and published by K12. This course focuses on the story of the past from the fourteenth century to 1917 and the beginning of World War I. The course is organized chronologically and, within broad eras, regionally. Lessons explore developments in religion, philosophy, the arts, and science and technology.
The course introduces geography concepts and skills as they appear in the context of the historical narrative. Major topics of study include:
- The cultural rebirth of Europe in the Renaissance
- The Reformation and Counter-Reformation
- The rise of Islamic empires
- Changing civilizations in China, Japan, and Russia
- The Age of Exploration, and the civilizations that had been flourishing in the Americas for hundreds of years prior to encounters with Europeans
- The changes that came with the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment
- Democratic revolutions of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries
- The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
- Nineteenth century nationalism and imperialism
- The remarkable transformations in communications and society at the turn of the twentieth century