5 Fun Outdoor Summer Activities for Kids
For many of us, summer is the best time of the year and the perfect season to spend more time with the kids, go outside, and enjoy fun family adventures.
Take advantage of the summer season while the kids are home from school to create lasting family memories. If you are searching for a fun, classic outdoor activity that your kids will surely enjoy, check out the list below:
Kids love outdoor adventures. If they had to choose between their gadgets and a tent, they will likely pick the latter. Camping is a perfect summer activity for kids because it exposes them to a variety of experiences that help them learn and grow to become more well-rounded students. And camping benefits kids in other ways too. Not only will they soak up some sunshine and breath in fresh air, interacting with nature enhances mood, reduces stress levels, and encourages physical activity. And you can even try camping in your own backyard.
Safety Tips When Camping:
- Bring bottled water for you and your kids.
- Pack all your food.
- Beware of poisonous plants and insects.
- Practice proper hygiene all the time. Bring rubbing alcohol, sanitizers, and disinfecting wipes for easy cleaning.
- Grab a pack of tarp, that will help you stay safe from sun, wind, and other possible surprises of mother nature.
Head to the Beach
It doesn’t have to be a Hawaiian beach. Drive to the nearest beach in your area. A child’s summer vacation may be incomplete without going to the beach and playing in the sand and the waves. It’s a childhood rite of passage. Oceans, rivers, and lakes are free (or cheap) places for children to explore, beat the heat, relax, and have an amazing time. Don’t forget to bring some toys, pack some food, and wear more sunscreen!
Safety Tips When Going to the Beach
- Make sure that everyone, especially your little ones, wear life jackets.
- Only swim in safe areas. Never leave children unattended.
- Protect everyone from the sun. Carry a beach umbrella if needed, and reapply sunscreen as necessary.
- Obey the beach safety flags.
Make Pool Games and Inflatable Obstacles
If you’re celebrating a special occasion this summer and also looking for a fun way to entertain the kids, pool games and inflatables are the way to go. There’s nothing like bounce houses or other sports-themed bouncers to keep the kids happy. If your budget is not very strict, you may want to get an inflatable blower that will save your money in the long run. Don’t want to spend too much? You can go with cute floaters and water toys. Don’t forget to prepare some snacks and goodies such as mixed fruits and veggies, sandwiches, and some dessert.
Safety Tips for Inflatable Water Games
- Do not overload any inflatable.
- Do not leave children unattended.
- Do not climb on the exterior of the inflatable.
Backyard Water Games
You need not take your kids somewhere far for them to have fun. Swap out baseballs for water balloons. Make a kiddie car-wash station using pool toys, buckets, and sponges—or a DIY water slide using items already available in your home such as a tarp, a hose, and shampoo. These games will not only give your kids a great time but will also keep them cool on a sunny weekend.
Safety Tips for Outdoor Water Games
- Take away sharp objects that could cause cuts or injuries.
- Wear extra sunscreen and reapply as necessary.
- Make sure they clean up well after playing in the backyard.
Ride a Bike
Children love riding bikes. It’s fun and makes them feel independent, improves their balance and coordination, and encourages them to connect with nature. Plan your journeys around quieter roads (in your neighborhood or at a local park) and cycle paths.
Safety Tips When Riding a Bike:
- Have the right gear. Never let your kids ride a bike without a helmet, close-toed shoes, and a proper outfit.
- Make sure that the tires are properly inflated and secure.
- Teach kids to walk their bikes across streets and intersections.
- Make sure they keep their two hands on their bikes all the time.
Chances are, you remember your own childhood memories of summer adventures. Perhaps you played hide-and-seek with your cousins or friends, made a cake out of mud, played in the rain, or rode a bike with your dad. There were likely plenty of reasons to play outside. But times have changed, and so have many families’ lifestyles. In fact, today most children spend more time indoors involved in “screen time,” and they are missing the chance to enjoy nature.
From improving kids’ mental and physical health to boosting their immune system and cognitive skills, spending time outdoors with your kids is not only fun but truly beneficial. Try these five epic outdoor adventures and make your kids’ summer a season to remember.
Megan is a writer, a DIY geek, a camping lover, and a happy mom of two who works with Grizzly Tarps. She writes on a variety of topics, from giving practical lifestyle advice to sharing her personal experience and knowledge on time management and child care.