2nd Grade Science Learning Activity: Measuring Mass
In this science activity, find out how much each object weighs. Use the weights to balance the scales and find the mass.
This interactive activity is embedded in our Second Grade Science 2 course.
Students perform experiments to develop skills of observation and analysis, and learn how scientists understand the world. They demonstrate how pulleys lift heavy objects, make a temporary magnet and test its strength, and analyze the parts of a flower. Students will explore topics such as:
- Metric System-liters and kilograms, and how scientists use them
- Force-motion and simple machines; physicist Isaac Newton
- Magnetism-magnetic poles and fields; how a compass works
- Sound-how sounds are made; inventor Alexander Graham Bell
- Human Body-cells; the digestive system
- Geology-layers of the earth; kinds of rocks; weathering; geologist Florence Bascom
- Life Cycles-plants and animals