2nd Grade Reading Activity: Circus Vocabulary Adventure
Learn new words and how to use them in this fun story. Spin the wheel in the beginning to listen to new words, and get the definition for each. Once you’re ready, follow Winnie and Johnny on their circus adventure and describe what they see.
This interactive activity is embedded in our Second Grade Language Arts (2) Orange course.
This course provides a comprehensive and interrelated sequence of lessons for students to continue building their proficiency in literature and comprehension, writing skills, vocabulary, spelling, and handwriting.
- Literature and Comprehension: A guided reading approach builds comprehension strategies and gradually transitions students to independent reading assignments. Leveled reading selections progressively expose students to new challenges including greater length, more complex content, and new vocabulary. The emphasis is on classic literature from many cultures, poetry, and nonfiction articles. Students also make their own reading choices to help foster a lifelong love of
- Writing Skills: Students learn about parts of speech, usage, capitalization, and punctuation, then apply this knowledge as they write sentences and paragraphs. Students are introduced to the process of writing, as they pre-write, draft, revise, and proofread their work before they share it with others. Written products include letters, poems, literature reviews, research reports, and presentations.
- Vocabulary: Students increase their vocabulary through word study, comprehension, and word analysis, then apply their knowledge in a variety of authentic contexts.
- Spelling: Students continue their exploration of spelling conventions with lessons in sound-symbol relationships and patterns.
- Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears helps students develop printing skills and, if appropriate, begin cursive handwriting.