2nd Grade History Learning Activity: The Silk Road
The Silk Road was a trade route that stretched from Europe all through the Middle East and ended in China. In this activity, you are sent on an errand to take goods from Constantinople and trade these items to bring back exotic merchandise from different lands. Be careful which items you trade along the way!
This activity can be found in K12’s second grade history course.
Second graders continue their investigation (spanning grades 1–4) into history from the Stone Age to the Space Age. Through lively stories and activities, second graders will:
- Explore ancient Rome and meet Julius Caesar
- Learn about the beginnings of Christianity during the Roman Empire
- Hear stories of the raiding and trading Vikings
- Appreciate the achievements of early Islamic civilization
- During the early Middle Ages in Europe, meet knights in armor, and hear stories of St. George, Robin Hood, and Joan of Arc
- Visit the medieval African kingdoms of Ghana, Mali, and Songhai
- Travel the Silk Road across China, and meet the powerful emperor, Kublai Khan
- Learn about the fighting samurai and the growth of Buddhism and Shintoism in feudal Japan