1st Grade Science Learning Activity: Insects and Spiders
Is a spider an insect? Use the Venn diagram to figure out what characteristics insects and spiders have in common, and what makes them different!
This interactive activity is embedded in our First Grade Science 1 course.
Students learn to perform experiments and record observations, and understand how scientists see the natural world. They germinate seeds to observe plant growth, and make a weather-vane. Students will explore topics such as:
- Matter-states of matter; mixtures and solutions
- Weather-cloud formation; the water cycle
- Animal Classification and Adaptation-insects; amphibians and reptiles; birds; mammals
- Habitats-forests, deserts, rain forests, grasslands, and more; naturalist John Muir and conservation
- Oceans-waves and currents; coasts; coral reefs and kelp forests; oceanographer Jacques Cousteau
- Plants-germination, functions of roots, stems, flowers, chlorophyll, and more
- Human Body-major systems; Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman doctor
- Light-how light travels; reflections; inventor Thomas Edison