1st Grade Science Learning Activity: House of Shadows
In this science activity, you’ll learn about how an object can manipulate light. Change the direction of the light source to learn all about the effects of shadows.
After you complete the online activity, try this experiment at your house with a flashlight and various objects.
This interactive activity is embedded in our First Grade Science 1 course.
Students learn to perform experiments and record observations, and understand how scientists see the natural world. They germinate seeds to observe plant growth, and make a weather-vane. Students will explore topics such as:
- Matter-states of matter; mixtures and solutions
- Weather-cloud formation; the water cycle
- Animal Classification and Adaptation-insects; amphibians and reptiles; birds; mammals
- Habitats-forests, deserts, rain forests, grasslands, and more; naturalist John Muir and conservation
- Oceans-waves and currents; coasts; coral reefs and kelp forests; oceanographer Jacques Cousteau
- Plants-germination, functions of roots, stems, flowers, chlorophyll, and more
- Human Body-major systems; Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman doctor
- Light-how light travels; reflections; inventor Thomas Edison