15 of the Best Star Wars Quotes
Among Star Wars fans, May 4th is known as Star Wars Day, an unofficial holiday in honor of the classic series of movies. Since the first film wowed audiences in 1977, the Star Wars series has captivated fans young and old. Thanks to new additions to the Star Wars universe, including the popular Clone Wars television series, and the recently announced sequel, whole new generations of fans are still discovering Star Wars nearly 40 years later.
While it would be a stretch to call the sci-fi series educational, there are certainly lessons we can take from Star Wars. In honor of May 4th, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite Star Wars quotes. We think these quotes contain some great life lessons for both kids and adults.
1.“Great, kid. Don’t get cocky”- Han Solo
Just because you accomplished one thing, doesn’t mean you can rest on your laurels. Stay focused and keep your eye on the prize.
2. “The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”– Senator Palpatine/ The Emperor
Be aware of who is trying to influence or tempt you. Just because someone is in a position of power, it doesn’t mean they are in the right.
3. “When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.” – Yoda
Just because you’re older doesn’t mean you can’t still be great.
4. “Do or Do not. There is No try”– Yoda
You can do anything you put your mind to. Set your goal and keep striving until you reach it.
5. “Who’s more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?” -Obi-Wan
Think for yourself. Don’t follow others blindly, question their motives and stay true to yourself.
6. “Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.”– Yoda
People fear what they don’t understand. If you are afraid or uncertain about something the best thing to do is to learn more about it. This leads to understanding, and harmony.
7. “A Jedi gains power through understanding and a Sith gains understanding through power.” – Senator Palpatine/ The Emperor
Reinforcing the quote above, but it’s funny that someone from the Dark Side says this. Think of this quote in terms of power=size. If you gain size through understanding, you can always strive to understand more and grow. If you gain understanding through size, there is a limit to your growth.
8. “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?” – Yoda
A great follow up to the previous two quotes. Your physical presence does not influence your potential.
9. “Truly wonderful the mind of a child is.“ – Yoda
Children are capable of amazing insight. Even Yoda, with all his wisdom and years of experience, can appreciate a child’s unique point of view.
The following six quotes come from the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars series. Each episode has a moral that serves as the theme for the show. Here are just a few of the morals from the series.
10. “Great leaders inspire greatness in others”– Season 1, Episode 1
Greatness comes from caring about those around you. Be the inspiration that others need and help your friends and family.
11. “Arrogance diminishes wisdom”- Season 1, Episode 15
How will you learn if you are close minded?
12. “Truth enlightens the mind, but won’t always bring happiness to your heart.” – Season 1,Episode 16
Always seek truth, not what you want to be true.
13. “Compromise is a virtue to be cultivated, not a weakness to be despised.”– Season 1, Episode 21
When it comes to disagreement, working towards mutual benefit is always the best option.
14. “Sometimes, accepting help is harder than offering it.”– Season 2, Episode 7
Do not let pride get the better of you. Accepting help to accomplish something is a virtue.
15. “It is the quest for honor that makes one honorable.” – Season 2, Episode 10
Do not think that the end reward is the only reward. Acknowledge the things you have learned along the way, even if the end goal isn’t what you expect.
Did you see your favorite quote on the list? If not be sure to include it in the comments!
And as always, May the 4th be with you.
Peter Spain is assistant editor of Learning Liftoff. A graduate from George Mason University, Peter has worked for several years in the education and entertainment industry. He strives to make learning fun for children of all ages by organizing our Games & Activities section and keeping an eye out for advancements in edutainment.